Stonehunter Gnome( Dragon Magic, p. 8)
|Base speed:||Land 20|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Gnome|
|Bonus Languages:||Draconic , Dwarven , Elven , Giant , Goblin , Orc|
One of the few races considered to be fast companions of any kind of drake, stonehunter gnomes are the favored people of copper dragons. Since the coppers' love of pranks, mischief, riddles, and puzzles fits in well with the gnomes' outlook on life, it comes as no surprise that the dragons would associate with the smaller race. The gnomes who return this sentiment are known as stonehunters, a moniker derived from the fact that the two races frequently meet to hunt together. In fact, copper dragons often make their lairs beneath stonehunter gnome villages. Over generations, the gnomes grow more dragonlike in appearance, while the dragons become fonder of the mortals.
Stonehunter gnomes have very dark skin that rakes on a coppery sheen in the sunlight. They build their homes in rocky hills, close to the favored environment of their dragon allies, and are renowned for their hunting skills and the extravagance of their parties and celebrations.
- Dragonblood Subtype: Stonehunter gnomes are of the dragonblood subtype (see page 4).
- Hunter's Insight: As frequent hunting companions of great copper dragons, stonehunter gnomes quickly develop the skills necessary to track down their prey. They have a +2 racial bonus on Climb and Survival checks as a result of their upbringing.
- Low-light vision.
- Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + stonehunter gnome's Cha modifier + spell level.
- Weapon Familiarity: Stonehunter gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).