Orog( Races of Faerûn, p. 71)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Automatic languages:||Home Region , Orc , Undercommon|
|Bonus Languages:||Common , Dwarven , Elven , Giant , Goblin|
Although everyone in Faerûn knows about the orc hordes of the North (the mountain orcs) and the nomadic orcs of the East (the gray orcs), only a rel-ative few know of a third sub-race that hails from the deeps below ground. The Underdark is the chosen haunt of these terrible creatures, the orogs. After thousands of years of survival in the harsh and dan-gerous Underdark, the orogs have changed to match their home, becoming more fero-cious and better able to cope with the dangers found there.
Physically, an orog looks similar to a large mountain orc, except that the ears are somewhat larger, and their eyes are huge and pale. They average six and a half feet tall.
Over the centuries, orogs have mastered the art of forg-ing armor and weapons from the strange ores found in the Underdark. They favor half-plate and full plate armor, which are typically adorned, with armor spikes. Orog weapons are festooned with a multi-tude of hooks, spines, and redundant cutting edges. An orog rarely goes anywhere without being fully armed and armored.
Orogs use the following aging effect characteristics, as described on Table 6—5 in the Player's Handbook:
|Race Age Information|
Orogs are bigger and more powerful than most other peoples of Faerûn, and use the following random height and weight characteristics (see Chapter 6 of the Player's Handbook):
|Orog , male||5'10"||+2d10||160 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Orog, female||5'2"||+2d10||125 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
Orogs all possess the following racial traits:
- +6 Strength, —2 Dexterity, —2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Orogs are incredibly strong, and they make natural leaders despite their ferocious appearance.
- Orog land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision up to 120 feet.
- Proficient with greatsword and throwing axe. All orogs train with some sort of martial weapon from a very young age.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (armorsmithing) and Craft (weaponsmithing) checks. Orogs train from an early age at their tribal forges.
- +2 natural armor.
- Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds an orog for 1 round. In addition, orogs suffer a —1 circumstance penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks while operating in bright light.
- Resistances: Orogs have fire resistance 5 and cold resistance 5. They are inured to extremes of temperature.
- Orc Blood: For all special abilities and effects, an orog is considered an orc. Orogs, for example, can use or create orc weapons and magic items with racially specific orc powers as if they were ordinary orcs.
- Automatic Languages: Orc, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Giant.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +2. Orogs are more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most of the other common races of Faerûn.