Wemic( Races of Faerûn, p. 149)
|Base speed:||Land 40|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Sylvan|
|Bonus Languages:||Home Region|
|Racial Hit Dice:||5d8 (Monstrous humanoid)|
|Racial Base Attack:||+5|
|Racial Base Saves:||Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +4|
Wemics are centaurlike creatures with the upper torso of a humanoid atop a lion's broad shoulders. They are proud and noble people who may be the most skillfull hunters in all Faerûn.
From head to rump, wemics are 10 to 12 feet long, and they stand 6 to 7 feet tall from their front paws to the tops of their heads. They weigh around 600 pounds. Dusky golden fur covers them from head to tail. Their tails feature a brush of black hair and the males have a long black mane. Wemics' faces are a mixture of humanoid and leonine, and their golden eyes have the slitted pupils of a cat, Their ears are set high on their heads. All six of their limbs end in claws, but the ones on their hands and their front paws are retractable.
Wemics remain children for only five years, and live about 40 years on average. Most wemics die in dangerous hunts on the savanna long before age can take them.
Wemics have the same life expectancy and age categories as half-orcs.
Close as they are to nature, there are many druids among the wemics. They have no other spellcasters in their tribes, although wemics that have spent some time in the "civilized" world have sometimes picked up levels as various kinds of spellcasters. In any case, the wemic's favored class is, of course, barbarian.
Regions: Anauroch, Shaar, Vilhon Reach, Western Heartlands.
Wemics have the following racial traits:
- +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Strong, fast, and hardy, wemics do not care much for impressing others outside their pride.
- Large: As Large creatures, wemics suffer a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC. They also suffer a -4 penalty on Hide checks. However, they can unse larger weapons than humans can, and their lifting and carrying limits are twice those of Medium-sized characters.
- Darkvision 60 feet.
- Proficient with all simple weapons and shields.
- +8 racial bonus on jump checks.
- Monstrous Humanoid Hit Dice: A wemic has 5d8 racial Hit Dice. W wemic character receives the maximum hit points for his first monstrous humanoid Hit Die and rolls his other monstrous humanoid Hit Dice normally. He rolls all Hit Dice from class levels and does not automatically get maximum hit points on his first class-level Hit Die. A wemic's racial Hit Dice also provide a +5 base attack bonus and saving throws of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4. Wemics with class levels add their class attack bonus and save bonuses to their racial attack bonus and saves.
- Monstrous Humanoid Skills: A wemic's monstrous humanoid Hit Dice grant him skill points equal to (2 + Intelligence modifier, minimum 1) x 8. Class skills for these skill points are Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival. A wemic does not get the x4 multiplier for skill points acquired from his first class level.
- Monstrous Humanoid Feats: A wemic's monstrous humanoid Hit Dice grant him 2 feats. A typical wemic chooses Alertness and Great Fortitude. A wemic with class levels gains feats based on his total Hit Dice, as shown on Table 2 in the Introduction.
- Natural Attacks: Wemics can make 2 claw attacks, dealing 1d6 points of damage each. A wemic can attack with a one-handed weapon at his normal attack bonus, and make a claw attack as a secondary attack (-5 penalty on the attack roll, and half Strength bonus on the damage roll).
- Wemic facing is 10 feet. They have a reach of 5 feet.
- Level Adjustment: +3. Due to his 5 racial Hit Dice, his natural attacks, and his racial skill bonus, a wemic has an effective character level of 8 plus his class levels. Thus, a 5th-level wemic barbarian would have an ECL of 13. See Table 1 in the introduction for more information.