Gargoyle( Monster Manual v.3.5, p. 113)
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Earth)
Hit dice: 4d8+19 (37 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. , Fly 60 ft. (Average)
Armor class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2) and bite +4 melee (1d6+1) and gore +4 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., freeze
Saves: Fort +5 Ref +6 Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 7
Organization: Solitary, pair, or wing (5-16)
Challenge Rating: 4
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium); 7-12 HD
Level adjustment: +5
This creature looks like a grotesque, winged humanoid with a horned head and a stony hide.
A gargoyle is a vicious flying predator that enjoys torturing creatures weaker than itself.
Gargoyles often appear to be winged stone statues, for they can perch indefinitely without moving and use this disguise to surprise their foes. They require no food, water, or air, but often eat their fallen foes out of fondness for inflicting pain. When not enjoying their favorite pastime, a wing of gargoyles can be found waiting silently for prey or bragging among themselves.
Gargoyles speak Common and Terran.
These cousins of the gargoyle have the aquatic subtype. They have a base land speed of 40 feet and a swim speed of 60 feet (no fly speed) and are found only in aquatic environments
Gargoyles As Characters
Gargoyles make excellent scouts, spies, and fighters. Able to soar aloft at a moment's notice, they can ravage their landbound foes and take aloft to the air.
Gargoyle characters possess the following racial traits:
- +4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma
- Medium size
- A gargoyle's base land speed is 40 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (average)
- Darkvision out of 60 feet
- Racial Hit Dice: A gargoyle begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A gargoyle's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (2+ Int modifier). Its class skills are Hide, Listen, and Spot. A gargoyle has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks, and an additional +8 bonus on Hide checks when it is concealed against a background of stone.
- Racial Feats: A gargoyle's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- +4 natural armor bonus
- Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/magic, freeze
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Auran, Dwarven Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Giant, Terran.
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Level adjustment +5
Gargoyles either remain still, then suddenly attack, or dive onto their prey.
A gargoyle's natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Freeze (Ex): A gargoyle can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the gargoyle is really alive
Skills: Gargoyles have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. *The Hide bonus increases by +8 when a gargoyle is concealed against a background of stone.