Gray Dwarf( Races of Faerûn, p. 14)
|Base speed:||Land 20|
|Automatic languages:||Dwarven , Home Region , Undercommon|
|Bonus Languages:||Common , Draconic , Giant , Goblin , Ore , Terran|
Dwelling in great subterranean cities of the Underdark, the gray dwarves are deep-dwelling cousins of shield dwarves, known for their cruelty and bitterness. Like their surface-dwelling kin, gray dwarves are famed for their smithwork and craftsmanship, but unlike their brethren in the Realms Above, the duergar are grim and cheerless, living lives of endless toil. Like their gold and shield dwarf kin, the duergar have forged great empires, founding such realms as the Deepkingdom of Gracklstugh and the Steel Kingdom of Dunspeirrin in the endless darkness of the Realms Below.
Averaging 4 feet tall, gray dwarves weigh nearly as much asan adult human. While other dwarves tend to be round-bodied and stoutly muscled, duergar are wide of shoulder but wiry and lean, their limbs corded with tough muscle. The skin of a gray dwarf is light or dark gray, and his eyes are dull black. Both genders are usually bald, with males having long gray beards and mustaches.
Gray dwarves are consumed with bitterness, feeling their race has forever been denied what was rightfully theirs. The duergar expect and live lives of never-ending drudgery. While their work rivals that of shield and gold dwarves, they are relentless perfectionists who take no pleasure in their craftsmanship. Only cruel jokes and petty torments bring a moment's smile to most gray dwarves, and they delight in tormenting the weak and the helpless.
Gray dwarves have the life expectancy and age categories defined for dwarves in Tables 6—4 and 6—5 of the Player's Handbook, but use the following random height and weight characteristics instead of those described on Table 6—6:
|Gray dwarf, male||3'9"||+2d4||110 lb.||x (2d4) lb.|
|Gray dwarf, female||3'7"||+2d4||80 lb.||x (2d4) lb.|
Regions: Dwarf (gray), The North, Turmish, Vaasa, Vilhon Reach. Most duergar characters have little contact with other cultures and choose the gray dwarf region.
Duergar have all the "dwarven"::races/players-handbook-v35—6/dwarf—4/ racial traits given in Chapter 1 of the "Player's Handbook except as follows:
- +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma. Duergar are extremely withdrawn and guarded.
- Darkvision up to 120 feet.
- Immune to paralysis, phantasms, and magic or alchemical poisons (but not normal poisons). Duergar acquired immunity to some illusions and many toxic substances during their servitude to mind flayers,
- +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks. Gray dwarves excel in stealthy movement.
- +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—enlarge and invisibility as a wizard twice the duergar's level (minimum 3rd level). These affect only the duergar and whatever it carries.
- Light Sensitivity: Duergar suffer a -1 circumstance penalty to attack rolls, saves, and checks in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Undercommon, home region. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Ore, Terran.
- Level Adjustment +2: Duergar arc more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most of the other common race's of Faerun.