Gray Orc( Races of Faerûn, p. 65)
|Base speed:||Land 40|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Orc|
|Bonus Languages:||Draconic , Giant , Goblin|
The orcs of the eastern lands are concentrated in the Moonsea and Endless Wastes today, with a much smaller number scattered through the various lands that lie between. A gray orc looks less bestial than their more savage northern kin, but is still obviously nonhuman. They are somewhat hairy, with long manes of bristly hair on their heads, shoulders, and backs. Their faces are less porcine than the mountain orcs, with the exception of their tusks. They have yellow, orange, or red eyes, lupine ears, and black or gray hair. Gray orcs are more apt to wear "civilized" clothing than mountain orcs, and prefer varying shades of brown, black, blue, and other dark colors. Skin tones are usually gray with mottled patches of lighter or darker gray on the chest and flanks.
Gray orcs all possess the following racial traits:
- +2 Strength, —2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, —2 Charisma: Gray orcs are not as strong as mountain orcs, but they tend to be much more independent and strong-willed.
- Gray orc land speed is 40 feet. Their gait is long and loping and they can cover great distances quickly.
- Proficient with the greataxe and longbow; gray orcs train with weapons from childhood.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Gray orcs suffer a —1 penalty on attack rolls in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Scent (Ex): Gray orcs have the scent ability, as detailed in the DUNGEON MASTER'S Guide.
- Orc Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a gray orc is considered an orc. Gray orcs, for example, can use or create orc weapons and magic items with racially specific orc powers as if they were orcs.
- Favored Class: Cleric.
- Level Adjustment +1. Gray orcs are slightly more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most of the other common races of Faerûn. See Table 1 for more information.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Goblin.