Kir-lanan( Races of Faerûn, p. 137)
|Base speed:||Land 30 , Fly (Good) 90|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Kir-Lanan|
|Bonus Languages:||Home Region|
|Racial Hit Dice:||4d8 (Monstrous humanoid)|
|Racial Base Attack:||+4|
|Racial Base Saves:||Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +4|
Falsely labeled gargoyles by some, kir-lanans are actually creatures who arrived on Faerûn during the Time of Troubles (1358 DR). They have made it their mission to destroy the gods of Toril by first executing all who believe in them. In a world in which religion plays a central part in the lives of so many people, this is no small task. It essentially calls for the murder of just about every person on the face of the planet.
Kir-lanans are only vaguely similar to true gargoyles. They have a humanoid form and large, batlike wings. They stand about 6 feet tall and weigh around 220 pounds. Their finely scaled hides are all dark in color, normally ranging from midnight blue through deep purple to black. Some rare individuals come in deep crimson, emerald, dun, or gray colors instead. They have mouths full of sharp, pointed teeth, and they have small, blunt horns just above their temples. They schew traditional clothing, instead binding their torsos with cloth wrappings intervowen with strips of metal, ivory, or stone.
Kir-lanans have no established life expectancy or age categories, as the oldest members of the race are only about 15 years of age. They are fully grown within one year of birth, and as yet show no signs of detorientation from aging. How long their lifespans are likely to be, none can say.
Kir-lanans have the following racial traits:
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom. Strong and fast, kir-lanans don't bother much with keeping in touch with the world around them. They usually prefer the direct approach to most problems.
- Darkvision 60 feet.
- +3 natural armor.
- +4 racial bonus on Hide checks.
- Poficient with all simple weapons and light armor.
- Monstrous humanoid Hit Dice: A kir-lanan has 4d8 racial Hit Dice. A kir-lanan character receives the maximum hit points for her first monstrous humanoid Hit Die and rolls her other monstrous humanoid or class Hit Dice normally. A kir-lanans racial Hit Dice also provides a +4 base attack bonus and saving throws of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4. Kir-lanans with class level add their class attack bonus and saves to their racial attack bonus and saving throws.
- Monstrous Humanoid Skills: A kir-lanan's monstrous humanoid Hit Dice grant her skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) x 7. Class skills for these skill points are Escape Artist, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Use Magic Device. A kir-lanan does not get the x4 multiplier for skill points acquired from her first class level.
- Monstrous Humanoid Feats: A kir-lanans monstrous humanoid Hit Dice grant her 2 feats. A typical kir-lanan choose Flyby Attack and Weapon Focus (claw). A kir-lanan with class levels gains feats based on her total Hit Dice, as shown on Table 2 in the Introduction.
- Natural Attacks: A kir-lanan can attack with 2 claws, dealing 1d4 points of damage each. A kir-lanan can attack with a one-handed weapon at her normal attack bonus and make a claw attack as a secondary attack (-5 penalty on the attack roll, and half Strength bonus on damage roll).
- Negative Energy Touch (Su): Three times per day, a kir-lanan can use a touch attack similar to the chill touch spell. If she hits with a melee touch attack, she deals 2d6 points of damage and 1 point of temporary Strength damage. A Fortitude save (DC 12 + Cha modifier) negates the Strength damage. The kir-lanan heals the same number of points of damage as she deals with this attack, although she cannot exceed her normal maximum hit points. The kir-lanan can use this power in conjunction with a claw attack, but she must hit with a melee attack to do so. She does not retain hit points for the claw damage she deals.
- Ray of Enfeeblement (Sp): Three times per day, a kir-lanan can use ray of enfeeblement as if the spell had been cast by a 4th-level sorcerer.
- Rebuke Undead (Su): A kir-lanan can rebuke or command undead three times per day as an evil cleric with as many levels as the kir-lanan has Hit Dice.
- Harmed by Positive Energy: A kir-lanan suffers damage from cure wounds spells, holy water, and blessed weapons just as if she were undead. Conversely, she is healed by inflict wounds spells and other applications of negative energy. Kir-lanans are not undead, but their bodies are infused with negative energy. They cannot be turned, but they are uncomfortable around such displays and usually seek to avoid a turning cleric anyhow.
- Soulless: Kir-lanans cannot beome clerics, druids, or paladins, and they cannot use positive energy of any kind. They cannot ever use divine magic. They may become rangers, but they never gain that class's spellcasting abilities. A kir-lanan bard, however, can learn inflict wounds spells instead of cure wounds spells. Since kir-lanans don't have souls, they can only be brought back from the dead with a wish or miracle spell, just like an outsider.
- Automatic languages: Kir-Lanan, Common. Bonus Languages: by region.
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Level Adjustment: +4. Due to her 4 racial Hit Dice and her supernatural and spell-like abilities, a kir-lanan has an effective character level of 8 plus her class level. Thus, a 7th-level kir-lanan fighter would have an ECL of 15. See Table 1 in the Introduction.