Mountain Orc( Races of Faerûn, p. 68)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Orc|
|Bonus Languages:||Draconic , Dwarven , Giant , Goblin|
The orcs of the North and the Spine of the World comprise the oldest and most numerous of the various orc subraces active on Faerûn. In fact, many people assume that all orcs are like the savage warmongers found in these regions, and do not identify gray orcs or even half-orcs as separate races.
A mountain orc is quite obviously a monstrous creature to most of the civilized folk of Faerûn. Mountain orcs look vaguely like primitive humans but are a fair bit taller at seven or more feet in height; a rare few exceed eight feet in height. They have stocky, powerful necks, and their bestial heads seem to sit directly on their massive shoulders. Their eyes are always a deep shade of red, and their faces are dominated by porcine snouts and large tusks. Mountain orcs often weave braids and tiny bones into their thick matted hair, which is usually black. Their clothing is crude and primitive, often composed of unpleasant colors like blood red, mustard yellow, yellow-green, and deep purple. They are far from the cleanest race on Faerûn and delight in decorating their bodies with scars and warpaint.
Mountain orcs are not a long-lived folk. They use the following aging effect characteristics, as described on Table 6—5 in the Player's Handbook:
|Race Age Information|
|Orc, Mountain||30||40||50||+2d10 years|
Mountain orcs are bigger and more powerful than most other peoples of Faerûn, and use the following random height and weight characteristics (see Chapter 6 of the Player's Handbook):
|Orc , male||5'8"||+2d10||150 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Orc, female||5'0"||+2d10||115 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
Mountain orcs all possess the following racial traits:
- +4 Strength, —2 Intelligence, —2 Wisdom, —2 Charisma: Mountain orcs are fantastically strong, but they react to situations with violence and poor planning.
- Mountain orc land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision up to 60 feet.
- Proficient with the greataxe and javelin. Mountain orcs train with weapons from childhood.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Mountain orcs suffer a —1 penalty on attack rolls in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Orc Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a mountain orc is considered an orc. Mountain orcs, for example, can use or create orc weapons and magic items with racially specific orc powers.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin.
- Favored Class: Barbarian.