Bhukas( Sandstorm, p. 39)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Automatic languages:||Bhuka , Common|
|Bonus Languages:||Draconic , Goblin|
Bhukas are slightly built, with sand-colored skin and brick-red, tightly curled hair. They have little facial or body hair. Their large ears, networked with veins, fold fl at against the head to retain heat in the cold desert night and keep out blowing sand. A frill of skin about the neck contains numerous spines that can lift the frill and raise it for cooling. The face of a bhuka is flat, with slitlike nostrils protected by flaps of skin. A bhuka's eyes have long lashes to keep out sand and dust, and the skin surrounding them is darker than the rest of the face, giving a bhuka the appearance of wearing a mask. Bhukas have wide, splayed feet that help them move easily over sand, and they do not wear shoes. Body paint is used to signify social position and ranges from a simple stripe on a low-ranking youth's neck frill to an elaborate pattern of spots, stripes, and whorls covering the arms and upper body of a matriarch. Clothing is flowing and light, woven from desert grasses using ancient techniques that make the garb excellent protection from heat. A typical bhuka stands between 4 and 5 feet tall and rarely weighs more than 90 pounds.
- Sure Feet (Ex): Bhukas have broad feat and splayed toes that help them travel easily over sand and similar loose surfaces. They treat shallow sand as normal terrain and deep sand as shallow sand. See Sand Travel, page 18, for descriptions of shallow and deep sand.
- Glare Resistance (Ex): Dark skin and long lashes around the eyes protect bhukas from sun glare (see page 18), so these creatures are never dazzled by bright sun.
- Water Sense (Ex): Bhukas have the innate ability to detect a source of drinkable water within a distance of 100 feet. Doing this requires a Survival check; the DC depends on the depth below ground of the water source, according to the following table. (Pg. 41)
- +2 racial bonus on Constitution checks or Fortitude saves to resist harmful effects from heat and dehydration. Bhukas are toughened to the rigors of waste life.
- +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks. Knowledge (nature) is always a class skill for bhukas.
- Heat Endurance: Bhukas gain Heat Endurance (see page 50) as a bonus feat.
- Favored Class: Druid . A multiclass bhuka's druid class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.