Yuan-Ti (Tainted One)( Serpent Kingdoms, p. 190)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Bonus Languages:||Abyssal , Common , Draconic , Yuan-Ti|
Sarrukh-controlled breeding and the centuries of free-willed mating that followed have established three basic natural forms for the yuan-ti: the pureblood, the halfblood, and the abominations. Details of these three kinds of yuan-ti, which make up the bulk of the race, can be found in the yuan-ti entry on page 262 in the Monster Manual. They have created two subraces of servitors as well (tainted ones and broodguards).
Though tainted ines serve primarily as spies and agents in human cities, they are also frquently employed as bodyguards and stealthy strike forces by pureblood yuan-ti working in human settlements.
Tainted Ones are yuan-ti servitors created from humans who drink a distillation of yuan-ti venom mixed with certein roots and herbs. The recipe for this mixture is a closely guarded secret that, despite much energetic spying, hasn't yet spread to every tribe of the yuan-ti.
A human who drinks the mixture, willingly or not, must make a DC 16 Fortitude saving throw. Success means an immediate lapse into a coma, followed by death 1 hour later. Failure leaves the imbiber sickened and requires an immediate DC 15 Constitution check. Success on this check begins a painful and permanent change into a tainted one during the next 1d6 days. Failure means a groggy, torpid transformation into a broodguard over a period of 1d6+6 days.
Only humand can be successfully transformed with this mixture. Any other humanoid that drinks it must make the same DC 16 Fortitude saving throw, bus success leaves the imbiber sickened for 1d4 rounds, and failure results in a coma, followed by death in 1d4+1 rounds.
Note: In fact, the Tainted One is rather a template than a race. Thus, size, speed, automatic languages, and favored class are derived from the base creature (a human is assumed here, because only humans are possibly transformed into Tainted Ones). It is not specified if the Tainted One is technically an acquired or an inherited template. Both are possible. For more details on templates cf. the Monster Manual, p. 291., and Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun, p. 94.
Tainted Ones have the following racial traits in addition to the traits of the base creature:
- +2 Constitution.
- Poison kiss (Ex): While grappling, a tainted one can choose to smear her opponent with poisonous saliva instead of dealing damage. This poison "kiss" can be used only while grappling a foe with exposed skin. The tainted one makes an opposed grapple check instead of an attack and takes -4 penalty on the check. If she wins, she successfully applies the poison (contact, Fortitude DC 13 + tainted one's Constitution modifier, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Constitution) by kissing, licking, or lightly biting her opponent. This ability replaces the poison bite ability given in Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun.
- Psionics (Sp): 3/day – polymorph (snake forms only); 1/day – poison (DC 13 + Con modifier); caster level equals character level.
- Immunity to charm spells, hold spells and poison.
- Spell resistance 12 +1/two levels.
- Racial Feats as base creature plus Alertness as a bonus feat.
- Size as base creature.
- Speed as base creature.
- Racial Hit Dice as base creature.
- Base attack and base saves as base creature.
- Racial Skill Points as base creature.
- Class Skills as base creatures.
- Armor and weapon proficiencies as base creature.
- Natural armor and natural attacks as base creature.
- Favored Class as base creature.
- Automatic languages as base creature.