Shoal Halfling( Stormwrack, p. 45)
|Base speed:||Swim 20 , Land 20|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Halfling|
|Bonus Languages:||Dwarven , Elven , Gnome , Goblin , Orc|
In the greenwater parts of the sea, those middle areas between land and true bluewater deep ocean, there can be found communities of shoal halflings, a subrace of amphibious half ling folk. Capable of breathing both water and air, shoal halflings dwell in the waters that lie between sandbars off a coast. Their homes are constructed of natural building materials along the bottom of these areas. The homes themselves are constructed as domes that end up covered in sand and coral, disguising them quite well.
Shoal halflings are a freckled tan, allowing them to blend quite well with sand patterns in the shallows where they dwell. Their hair is dark, ranging between a deep black to a dark greenish hue, and their eyes tend to be bright blue. Other than a slight webbing between their toes and fingers, shoal halflings can easily pass for normal halflings.
Shoal halflings are identical to the halflings described in the Player's Handbook, except as noted below.
- Aquatic: Shoal halflings are humanoids with the aquatic and halfling subtypes.
- Shoal halfling swim speed is 20 feet. A shoal halfling has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
- Amphibious (Ex): Shoal halflings are amphibious, capable of breathing water and air equally.
- Shoal halflings do not gain the +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings of other halflings, since such things aren't common among shoal halflings.
- Shoal halflings do not gain any racial bonus on Climb, Jump, or Move Silently checks, since they have little opportunity to become proficient in these skills in their aquatic homes.